Friday, December 26, 2008

Quotes from AZUR Executive Chef

In the Lexington Herald-Leader on Thursday, December 25, executive chef - Jeremy Ashby was quoted in an article about local chefs (see below).

Jeremy C. Ashby

Ashby, chef at AZUR restaurant in Lexington, said his career is "something I stumbled into."
"I have always seemed to know my way around the kitchen since a young boy, helping my father or grandparents with meals, but never considered cooking as a profession until my first year of college," he said. "I took a job at a restaurant after my first year at UK and was introduced to a professional chef. I admired the white coat and the image it portrayed, the skill level of his work and the constant use of creative thinking. I was absolutely captivated by every facet of the profession and knew that this was what I wanted to do.

"I dropped the traditional form of secondary education a semester later and enrolled in Johnson and Wales (University) culinary program. I have to say that every person I have worked with or under, every teacher I have and every cookbook I have picked up has been my inspiration. There is truly a bounty of possibilities as a chef and unlimited motivating factors. Most of all, I really like making people happy. Food has always been a center for comfort and an expression of love in my family. I enjoy putting heart and soul into a dish, treating the plate as a canvas and observing people's reaction to my creative efforts. If they smile, then so do I."